If you’ve never tried cooking with tofu then give it a try and enjoy a healthy start to the new year!
- Heat half the sunflower oil in a pan over a low heat and fry the onions for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are softened, translucent and beginning to turn golden-brown.
- In a bowl, mix together the cooked onions, tofu, beetroot, mushrooms, carrots, smoked paprika (if using), garlic, thyme and kidney beans. Season to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the mixture into six equal portions and shape into burgers. It’s easier to do this if your hands are a little damp.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan and fry the burgers for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden-brown. You can finish cooking them for a few more minutes and serve them like this or you can heat a griddle pan until smoking hot, then add the cooked burgers and fry for a further 1-2 minutes on each side, until there are clear deep char lines.
- Serve the burgers in buns and add any extras of your choice, such as tomato slices, gherkins, chargrilled peppers, salad leaves, coleslaw or mayonnaise.
error: Content is protected.